понедельник, 18 декабря 2017 г.

marinade_rezept

Jerk Marinade

You’ll never want store-bought Jerk Marinade after making this super easy, no-fuss homemade version!

There’s nothing I like better than a big batch of Jerk Marinade, the quintessential Jamaican classic marinade, spiked with Scotch bonnet pepper, loads of aromatic ingredients and a hint of Sweetness.

Yes! Jerk maybe of my favorite marinades and always so excited when it comes to using it up in my kitchen.

I usually experiment with the spice mix to find that perfect balance of heat, spice and sweetness.

In all sincerity, it’s all based on preference and cultural background. And to a lesser extent- your mood swings. When am highly stressed and feeling the blues. I make sure it’s FIERY HOT! And sometimes, I turn to throw in more of the spices that I like.

This is my rendition on this famed marinade with some tropical fruits thrown in the mix.

Now believe me when I tell you that Jerk Marinade is quite easy to put together, can be made with pantry staple every day ingredients, easily adjustable to please discerning palates. AND even the little ones can enjoy this too!

Just adjust the scotch bonnet pepper to suit your guests or household.

With only a hint of Scotch bonnet pepper to fiery hot.

Use this Jerk sauce to make this Jerk Chicken here and you’ll be happy you did

  • If it is your first time working with Hot peppers use gloves.
  • For a more intense Jerk Flavor leave out the fruits and use less than half of the onions.
  • Since scotch bonnet pepper are hard to find here in the U.S. Substitute Scotch bonnet pepper with Habanero pepper. Or for am milder taste use habanero peppers and leave out the seeds.
  • You can easily make this paleo by omitting the sugar and using honey and/ or coconut sugar instead

You’ll never want store-bought Jerk Marinade after making this super easy, no-fuss homemade version!

  • ½- medium onion coarsely chopped
  • 4 medium scallions green onions chopped
  • 2-3 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme
  • 1½ tablespoons fresh ginger chopped
  • 8 Garlic cloves chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Allspice coarsely ground
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely white pepper
  • ½ Tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Honey
  • 2 Tablespoons Maggi Sauce or Soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon bouillon powder such as knorr
  • 1 cup Fresh Mango, Pineapple(optional)
  • 1 or more Scotch Bonnet Pepper adjust to taste
  1. If it is your first time working with Hot peppers use gloves.
  2. For a more intense Jerk Flavor leave out the fruits and use less than half of the onions.
  3. Since scotch bonnet pepper are hard to find here in the U.S. Substitute Scotch bonnet pepper with Habanero pepper. Or for am milder taste use habanero peppers and leave out the seeds.
  4. You can easily make this paleo by omitting the sugar and using honey and/ or coconut sugar instead

Related posts:

Sad to say that I am one of the people who buys Jerk Marinade from the store. SO over excited to find your recipes as I would love to make it myself.

Now you can Bintu it’s so easy to put together

Khalia Moorehead says

How long can I store this in the fridge

Mine lasted about a month.

I have never tried a jerk marinade. I am noting ingredients I will need to make this!!

Razena | Tantalisemytastebuds.com says

I could practically feel my taste buds tingling from the chili peppers. I first tasted jerk chicken when I came to Dubai but have never found a marinade that comes to close to that taste. Your chicken looks just like it!

My husband tried jerk chicken once and said he loved it. This marinade sounds pretty straight forward and I think I can easily make one at home 🙂

Interesting recipe! Never heard of jerk marinade. Good to know. Would love to give it a try.

I’m from the islands so I grew up being used to Jerk and loved it since the first time I had it and can feel the burn for days. Jerk sauce goodness. My Aunty I grew up with use to make it as we had a farm on the islands and she had all the ingredients. I never had a clue how she made it, but many the ingredients I knew like Allspice, Thyme, Brown Sugar, Scotch Bonnet Peppers which we grew on our farm. I wasn’t sure about rest of ingredients. Since leaving the islands I’ve used Jerk Sauce like WW which is really good, but never quite knowing how to make my own exactly. This recipe will save me from having to constantly buy jars of WW Jerk sauce and now make my own. And since I’ve got over 10lbs of Caribbean Scotch Bonnet peppers in my Freezer I can make plenty of this Jerk sauce with some variations. Thanks for the post!!

My Pleasure Henry! 10lbs of Caribbean Scotch bonnet peppers ? Oh Boy! I want some of that. In my neck of the woods they are so hard to get. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Lulit Taka says

Great recipe, thanks for posting it. How long will it last in the fridge?

Thanks! I usually freeze it in ice cube tray and use as needed. However, I have a batch that has been in the fridge now for over two weeks. What I do is add enough oil to cover the marinate. Saving it for 4th of July.

Johannes I says

How long will it hold in the fridge ?

Does it spoil quickly ?

It doesn’t get bad quickly. This is what I do. Blend all the ingredients with very little water. Then mix with any cooking oil. Make sure you add some more on top to cover the marinate . Refrigerate and it would last about a month or more. I have some in the fridge and it’s been there for over 5 weeks now. Happy Cooking.

Imma,to be honest you make dishes so simple as ABC! Keep up the good work girl and THANKS.

You are too kind girl. Thank so you so much.

I am SO trying this. I can’t find any store bought jerk that compares to the stuff I fell in love with as a kid. I tried to ask my dad where to get it, but he said it is usually SO expensive that he waits for when he goes to visit family in NY to buy it. I’ve made my own jerk powder seasoning, which I typically add right before cooking. And I’ve bought both the cheap commercial marinade and the more expensive “authentic” looking stuff (still not what I remember my dad using). So far it has worked pretty well, marinating for a few hours in the expensive stuff, then adding the powder, then using the cheap stuff as a glaze in the last 30 minutes or so of grilling. Since the marinades are sub-par, I feel like using ALL of them is necessary LOL! But I typically LOVE making everything from scratch — free from additives and preservatives. Plus I think the addition of pineapple makes for a great tenderizer for chicken. I usually add pineapple juice when I marinade. AND I love your idea of freezing it in cubes; I do this with fresh herbs and even homemade bone stock. Soon I’m going to need a bigger freezer!!

Sorry for the novel but I am just SOOO excited!! Thank you so much for this recipe! <3

No apologies here. I can go and on when it comes to cooking too! I LOVE hearing back from readers. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Happy cooking.

Has anyone actually made this recipe and provided some usefullfeedback?

Hi Petran! I have used this marinade in other recipes like this one here and here . Check it out and see what other readers are saying

We are all at different levels so I suggest only way to know if it works is to try it yourself.

Barbara Moss says

I am so looking forward to making this recipe. I had jerk pasta chicken alfredo for the first time a few months ago and I am in LOVE but I live 36 miles from Jamaica Mi Irie restaurant. What flavor bullion powder do you use?

Hi Barbara! Chicken is the one that I use most often.

Why call it a marinade when you only describe a sauce? Marinating requires immersion of the chicken for a period of time in a mixture such as this so that it absorbs the flavours before cooking. But you give no instructions for this except as a condiment. I may attempt it as a marinade, and use it as a sauce as well.

It’s because I use it to marinade protein – It’s primarily purpose is for marinating and you can make a sauce out of it, if that’s what rocks you boat.

Doug Williams: With regard to your question I find your statment misguided but that you have understood the methodolgy without actually realising it. 1. Based on European ‘cookbook’ terminology and method a sauce traditionally has a liquid consistency. 2. The photographs are clear, ingredients and contents of the article illustrate this. 3. To be correct as a West Indian recipe it would be termed as an all pupose ‘seasoning’. Depending on the ingredient mix …and liquid it can be used for meats as a stuffing, rub, marinade or sauce. If you refer to other recipes you will see she refers back to this recipe to be used in the appropriate context. 4. I assume the recipe was chosen due to previous requests from her audience. The comments reflect cooks who do not need to be told how to use the recipe. They have been given them a basic recipe upon which to make their own mark, which you yourself have stated you will do. ‘…I may attempt it as a marinade, and use it as a sauce as well.’ You show in few lines a journey from text book cooking to exploration. I am sure this is the best compliment she and her audience could have received. Welcome to West Indian cuisine.

Made it without without the pineapples and buillion (to avoid extra calories and sodium)… allowed chicken breast to marinade for five hours before grilling; I will never buy jerk chicken from the Caribbean store again!! Thanks for sharing!!

YES! Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

Stephanie L Leclerc says

What flavor of powered bouillon

Chicken is best!

I am glad that I tried your recipe and it’s a sure Winner!! 🙂 I cannot believe how flavorful it turned out. I did use 1 whole ripe mango and I am going to make another batch tonight. I received so many praises from my friends and family. We all love it! Thanks to you.

Yay! Glad it worked out well for you.

How much marinade per pound of meat?

About 1/2 cup per pound (adjust with a little less or more )

This picture looks like one from a recipe I lost a long time ago. You state it is two to three servings, but what is the quantity in cups? I am cooking for a large party soon and am excited to try it out!

It’ll yield about 1 to 2 cups depending if you use some fruits .

Andrea Bygrave says

Roughly how much (volume) does one batch make? Also, do you know if it’s possible to preserve it safely thru pressure canning?

It makes about 2 cups depending on ingredients used , maybe more . Not knowledgeable about pressure canning so can’t say for sure. Mine last for about a month in the fridge . With some oil on top of the Jerk sauce and tightly covered.

Kraig Olmstead says

Surely you’ve made a mistake: The two jerk sauces I could find in the supermarket _BOTH_had water and high fructose corn syrup as their first ingredients!

I sort of combined your recipe with an oldie I found in Vegetarian Times. Yours was more comprehensive, so I leaned more toward it. I made jerk chicken (it marinated for over 24 hours – overkill) last night with red beans and rice. I had some really good ginger ale as well as a cocktail made with rum and pineapple/coconut juice, playing a reggae station on the stereo. I’m in denial of the impending Minnesota winter.

OH BOY! That’s the ONLY way to enjoy it Kraig. What weather? Cheers!

Kraig Olmstead says

FWIW, mine was roughly a double batch and yielded around three pints. I’m freezing the excess. Ihope it survives.

It will ! Mine last a long time frozen.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Hello! I'm Imma! Cooking up Exquisite African, Caribbean & Southern flavors with a flavorful twist You can too! In your kitchen. It's much more fun together. Join me .

Korean Barbecue Beef, Marinade 1

Editor's note: The recipe and introductory text below are excerpted from restaurateur Jenny Kwak's book, Dok Suni: Recipes from My Mother's Korean Kitchen. Kwak also shared some helpful cooking tips exclusively with Epicurious, which we've added at the bottom of the page.

To read more about Kwak and Korean cuisine, click here.

As you will see when you are barbecuing this marinated beef, its smell will make your mouth water. Once you try Korean barbecue, it will become something you crave — even if you're not usually a beef eater.

Bulgogi is traditionally eaten with white rice and a variety of sides, usually spicy ones. Most important, serve it with fresh red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced raw garlic, and some spicy fresh peppers to make a ssam: holding the lettuce in your palm, make a wrap that envelops the barbecued beef, some rice, the dipping sauce, and, if desired, the vegetables. Feel free to experiment!

Social Sharing

Add to collection

Add to menu

Ingredients

    • 2 1/2 pounds rib eye beef, thinly sliced
    • 2 tablepoons soy sauce
    • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
    • 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon rice wine (sake)
    • Pinch of black pepper
    • 1/2 piece of fresh kiwi, juiced in a blender
  1. Dipping Sauce:
    • 1 tablespoon soybean paste
    • 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    • 2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
    • 1 teaspoon salad oil
    • 2 tablespoons water

Preparation

    1. 1. Trim the fat off the beef with a knife. Distribute the sugar evenly on the beef by sprinkling it on each piece. Allow beef to sit for 10 minutes.
    2. 2. In a separate bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sugar, sake, and black pepper. Put aside.
    3. 3. Massage the beef with the kiwi juice using your hands. The kiwi works as a tenderizer. Add the soy sauce mixture and mix. Allow the beef to marinate for 10 minutes. Because the beef is thin, it doesn't require a long marinating time. Now it is ready to be barbecued. Ideal if grilled over smoked wood but just as good in a frying pan or skillet. Cook until browned, being careful not to overcook.
    4. 4. Last, to prepare dipping sauce, combine all sauce ingredients and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve on the side.

From Dok Suni: Recipes from My Mother's Korean Kitchen by Jenny Kwak and Liz Fried. Copyright ©1998 Jenny Kwak and Liz Fried. Reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press, LLC

Related Video

Nutritional Info

  • Calories 582
  • Carbohydrates 10 g(3%)
  • Fat 23 g(35%)
  • Protein 83 g(167%)
  • Saturated Fat 8 g(40%)
  • Sodium 971 mg(40%)
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
  • Fiber 1 g(3%)
  • Monounsaturated Fat 12 g
  • Cholesterol 238 mg(79%)

Menus & Tags

Leave a Review

It was OK but nothing great. Quick meal to make would be its major saving grace but not likely something I will make agaiin often, if ever Not giving me the forks! Anyway, a 2 fork rating

  • I used this marinade to make Korean Tacos. Totally dynamite! I followed the recipe exactly as written, marinating the meat for 30-45 minutes while I made the dipping sauce and prepared some Asian style slaw to go with the tacos. The dipping sauce is what totally makes this work. I was concerned that the finished beef was under seasoned, but when combined with the salty, spicy, tangy sauce, the flavors were perfection. I did use jarred chili paste with garlic rather than prepare the red chili sauce, and it worked fine. We rolled the meat in hot fresh tortillas, and topped them with the dipping sauce, a spoon of slaw and even a dollop of guacamole. Delicious!! Will definitely do again!

  • This recipe deserves 4 stars . . .my ipad is being weird about the rating. Wonderful recipe. I live in an area where I am given a lot of venison. The trick with venison is having a good marinade this worked very well with venison steak.

  • This was absolutely fantastic. I made it exactly as written, except I subbed awase miso for the soybean paste (doenjang), just because I had some on hand. Next time I will double the dipping sauce, there was barely enough, and it became very thick. The flavors were outstanding. I marinated the rib-eye for only 10 minutes, and it was very tender. (I did use the kiwi). I served it with red leaf lettuce, rice, and the dipping sauce. We will be making this often.

  • Several people commented that this is too sweet. I think that's due to a misprint: the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar should be used to sprinkle over the beef,(I massaged it in,) and then no sugar should be added to the marinade. It's not too sweet, at all. I love Bulgogi and this is the BEST. Made it last night-still thinking about it today! To serve: take red leaf lettuce leaves, add the beef, that incredibly delicious dipping sauce, a little rice and some julienned carrots, (as someone else suggested-adds a nice crunch), and roll it up and eat. I can't wait to make this, again! We grilled it, but would be good pan fried, as well. Also grilled baby bok choy and peaches, to go along side. YUMMMMM

  • Loved it. Would make it again.

  • Really tasty would definately do this recipe again

  • I've been making kalbi/bulgogi marinades for a while now. The ingredients are basically the same in all, but this recipe really stuck out to all of my diners. It was head and shoulders above the rest! I can't believe that teriyaki is more popular than this sauce. It will be a staple in my recipe box!

  • This is a fabulous Korean Barbecue recipe, especially for those that are inexperienced with Asian cooking. This recipe is easy and has the flavor you expect. The biggest challenge is going to be experimenting with different cuts  we tried flank steak and it wasnt nearly as good as the thin-sliced Ribeye. This is a quick marinade, so thinly sliced beef is a must. http://therecipetest.com/2010/04/28/korean-barbecue-beef/

  • I made this last night for 6 people - exactly as the recipe calls for. All of us agreed that the flavour was seriously lacking. It was just flat. Even the dipping sauce didn't brighten up the flavour. I wouldn't make it again.

  • Made this for dinner tonight and it was delish. Used an inexpensive cut of meat (ranch steaks) and sliced very thin--let it marinate a bit longer because the meat wasn't that tender to begin with. A quick sear on the grill, and we tossed it into lettuce wraps with some rice, julienned veggies (carrots and daikon), some cilantro and the dipping sauce. I also added some freshly grated ginger to both the marinade and dipping sauce--nice addition. This will go in our summer grilling rotation.

  • I just loved this recipe. I did leave out the kiwi and substituted brown sugar splenda for the regular, but it still produced a great tasting result. My boyfriend couldn't get enough of it..which is a complement since he is an amazing cook!

  • the recipe very much lives to the quote "Once you try Korean barbecue, it will become something you crave" Excellent recipe, we make it very often in the summer on the grill.

  • Easy and flavorful. I used a London Broil cut and let it marinate a bit longer. Will definately make again for a different spin on cookout flavors.

  • I almost never follow a recipe exactly and I eyeball rather than measure. Since I have a large family I usually double the recipe for most things it is hard to say how I changed it. I served this at work and at home and it got rave reviews. The meat was delightfully tender yet flavorful and the dipping sauce I modified a bit based on the ingredients I had on hand, and it came out delicious. (I used soy sauce, garlic paste I made, Sriracha, brown sugar and some water.) I am making it again tonight! We are addicted!

  • Cant quite get this to come out to my liking. Very important not to over-marinate the meat, especially if you use the kiwi. I reduced the sugar and it still tends to come out a little sweet, lacking zing, and a bit generic for my taste. Definitely works best in a lettuce wrap with lots of other ingredients.

  • I made this for both chicken and beef, and it was delicious on both. I did add the sugar in the recipe, rather than on the meat itself. Don't know what I missed by doing this though. I actually preferred it on the chicken, but both were very good. I do have one tip though----don't overmarinate the beef as it can make the beef have that weird stringy consistency from over tenderized beef. Next time I will marinate for less than the 5 hours I did (it was a dinner party and I was trying to get prepped ahead). I'd probably go for about an hour tops for beef. The chicken didn't suffer at all from the long marinating process.

  • a little too sweet. Would only put 1 tbsp sugar next time.

  • This was delicious! my new go to marinade. I put one tablespoon of brown sugar in the marinade and then only half a tablespoon directly on the steak. It was delicious but then, I don't think anything could go wrong with this.

  • This recipe completely lived up to the rave reviews - it was delicious. I have made it with and without the kiwi and didn't really notice any difference. Although I hate when people substitute ingredients, I used flank steak because I had it on hand and rice wine vinegar instead of Sake since I didn't have that handy. Because I used flank steak, I made sure to marinade it for a few hours instead of a few minutes. It was fabulous and the smell is to die for!

  • I have tried this recipe every which way - without kiwi, mixing all ingredients at once, bbqing the whole steak then slicing it - and no matter what I did it tasted fabulous. I like serving it with a cold noodle salad and kiwi for garnish. Enjoy.

  • I made the bulgogi without the dipping sauce, and it was wonderful. Like other reviewers, I omitted the kiwi, which worked fine. Depending on individual preferences, you may want to reduce the brown sugar: it was delicious, but I found it a touch sweet.

  • I make this recipe all the time. I don't even bother with the kiwi anymore and it's still great. I also just cook it in a regular skillet and then eat it with rice, kimchi and red or green leaf lettuce in packets like the author described. I am Korean and this tastes exactly like it should.

  • instead of garlic,use fresh grated ginger, adds more kick! but I used pickled ginger I had on hand, just as good..

  • delicious. easy and so tasty. You should try this dish. To the cook from Buffalo, on this website is Korean Barbecue Beef, Marinade 2. Same recipe without the misprint. Sprinkle sugar on the meat and then mix the other ingredients, without adding more sugar. Enjoy.

    Epicurious Links

    Connect with Epicurious

    Helpful Links

    Food Innovation Group

    Condé Nast

    Condé Nast Websites

    Condé Nast Services

    Legal Notice

    © 2017 Condé Nast. All rights reserved

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (effective 1/2/2014) and Privacy Policy (effective 1/2/2014)

    The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.

    BBQ Sauces, Marinades and Rubs Recipes

    Get Allrecipes Magazine!

    Top-rated recipes, party ideas, and cooking tips to inspire you year-round. Get a full year for just $5!

    Inspiration and Ideas

    • Tips & Tricks

    Krystal's Perfect Marinade for Chicken

    "Excellent marinade. Everyone raved about how good the chicken was. Will be making again." – Benjamin Ely

  • CCRyder's Smoker Rib Rub

    Become the best pitmaster in the neighborhood with this spicy rub for baby back ribs.

  • Chef John's "Smoke & Smears" Collection

    Get Chef John's recipes for steak sauce, marinades, and barbeque sauces, and watch his videos for grilling tips and other how-tos.

  • Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce

    "We've been using this recipe for over a year. We use this for chicken, pork ribs, and pulled pork—and all else that requires BBQ sauce. It's a winner!" – Jessica Godfrey

    Basic Kiwi Marinade

    Recipe by Sharon123

    people discussing

    Top Review by

    Top Review by

    people discussing

    Basic Kiwi Marinade

    YIELD:

    Ingredients Nutrition

    • 1 cup chopped kiwi
    • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
    • 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

    Directions

    1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Add meat of choice(of course, New Zealanders most always use lamb!) and marinate for at least 2 hours, but not more than 6.
    2. Cook meat as desired.

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Roku, or Fire TV.

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Roku, or Fire TV.

    Join the Conversation

    • all
    • reviews
    • tweaks
    • q & a

    Attach Photo

    Would you like to attach a photo to your submission?

    • Browse
    • Cancel

    Attach Photo

    The image has been attached to your submission.

    Report this post?

    Are you sure you want to report this post for review?

    • Yes, report it.
    • Oops! Cancel!

    You must be logged in to interact with the activity feed.

    • Log in now
    • Cancel

    Missing Input

    Please enter a rating or review before submitting.

    Missing Input

    Please enter a reply before submitting.

    Please enter your before submitting.

    Your reply has been submitted for moderation.

    There was an error processing your submission. Please refresh and try again!

    Nutrition Info

    Serving Size: 1 (231 g)

    Servings Per Recipe: 1

    Amt. Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 116.8 Calories from Fat 7 6% Total Fat 0.8 g 1% Saturated Fat 0.1 g 0% Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 761.3 mg 31% Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g 9% Dietary Fiber 4.6 g 18% Sugars 15.3 g 61% Protein 3.1 g 6%

    Recipe: Nobu's Miso-Marinated Black Cod

    There are many reasons to love black cod — it is sustainably fished, full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and wonderfully buttery when cooked. Here's one more: a classic Japanese recipe for black cod that makes an easy, elegant dinner for guests or a quick main dish you can prep over the weekend.

    This recipe is adapted from Nobu: The Cookbook, which my partner gifted to me many years ago after we visited Nobu's restaurant and swooned over the omakase tasting menu. It's a very simple dish; there is some advance preparation, but it's easy and quick.

    Three days before cooking the fish, you make the four-ingredient miso marinade and then marinate the fish in it, sealed in a covered container in the fridge. Cooking is quick — just a quick sear on the stovetop and then a few minutes in the oven. This makes a very light yet filling meal that is elegant and looks like it took a lot of work, but it really doesn't. The miso marinade adds a sweetness to the silky and buttery black cod.

    Tester's Notes

    This recipe is a classic Japanese fish preparation, made famous by the chef Nobu Matsuhisa, and it's popular for a reason: Soaked for several days in the salty-sweet miso marinade, black cod becomes silky, deeply seasoned, and completely irresistible.

    Although I've enjoyed miso black cod many times in Japanese restaurants, I had never made it at home until I tried this recipe. The preparation is very simple and perfect for serving guests, since you do most of the work two or three days before and quickly broil it just before serving. (This also makes it a great option for a weeknight meal that can be prepped over the weekend.)

    And the resulting fish is impressive and quite foolproof. The high oil content of black cod makes it forgiving — it is a difficult fish to overcook. If you want to incorporate more fish into your diet, but are feeling a bit intimidated, this is an excellent recipe to try. It pairs well with simple vegetable recipes, like spinach in sesame dressing and plain rice. (I cooked brown rice with a small amount of Thai black rice, which gives it a deep purple color and slightly nuttier flavor.)

    From an environmental standpoint, this recipe also gets high marks. I used wild-caught black cod from Alaska, which is rated a "Best Choice" by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. Prepared in this way, it is absolutely delicious.

    Nobu's Miso-Marinated Black Cod Recipe

    white miso paste

    black cod fillets, about 1/2 pound each

    Two to 3 days beforehand, make the miso marinade and marinate the fish. Bring the sake and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Boil for 20 seconds to evaporate the alcohol. Turn the heat down to low, add the miso paste, and whisk. When the miso has dissolved completely, turn the heat up to high again and add the sugar, whisking constantly to ensure that the sugar doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat once the sugar is fully dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

    Pat the black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels. Slather the fish with the miso marinade and place in a non-reactive dish or bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.

    To cook the fish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat an oven-proof skillet over high heat on the stovetop. Lightly wipe off any excess miso clinging to the fillets, but don't rinse it off. Film the pan with a little oil, then place the fish skin-side-up on the pan and cook until the bottom of the fish browns and blackens in spots, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily.

    Recipe Notes

    Instead of cooking the fish on the stovetop, you can do this step on an outdoor grill or under the broiler in your oven.

    This post was originally published May 2010.

    • Calories 231
    • Fat 2.5 g (3.9%)
    • Saturated 0.5 g (2.5%)
    • Carbs 7.4 g (2.5%)
    • Fiber 0.9 g (3.7%)
    • Sugars 4 g
    • Protein 42.4 g (84.8%)
    • Cholesterol 97.5 mg (32.5%)
    • Sodium 756.3 mg (31.5%)
    Submit a story

    Got a tip, kitchen tour, or other story our readers should see?

    Marinade rezept

    Marinade und Rezept für Soja-Geschnetzeltes: Schnell und lecker!

    Mich wundert es immer noch, dass ich von einem Tag auf den nächsten damit aufgehört habe. Auch wenn ich meine Entscheidung nicht bereue, so würde ich manchmal echt gerne Fleisch essen. Und an solchen Tagen mache ich mir auch Fleisch. Aber vegan.

    Ich weiß nicht, ob es genauso gut schmeckt wie Fleisch. Aber ich weiß, dass es mir schmeckt. Und darauf kommt es ja an, oder?

    Das wichtigste ist die Marinade. Ansonsten wird das Ergebnis nach nichts schmeckt. Weil ich Fleisch aber nie mariniert habe, sondern schon fertig gekauft habe, war das natürlich eine Herausforderung. Nachdem ich viele verschiedene Rezepte ausprobiert habe und viel experimentiert habe, habe ich jetzt mein Lieblingsrezept für Marinade zusammen gestellt.

    Zubereitungszeit : 15 Minuten

    ca. 2 EL Sonnenblumenöl

    ca. 3 EL Tomatenmarkt

    Hähnchengewürz (andere Fleischgewürze gehen auch)

    optional: Knoblauch und Zwiebeln

    Zubereitung:

    Soja in einem Behälter mit Öl, Tomatenmark (ich nehme so viel, bis mir die Farbe gefällt), Salz und Hähnchengewürz (das mache ich nach Gefühl rein, wobei zu viel besser ist als zu wenig!). Meistens kommen noch Zwiebeln und Knoblauch rein. Aber wenn ich zu faul bin oder ich danach noch etwas vorhabe, geht es auch ohne.

    Nachdem das ganze gut vermischt wurde, muss jetzt ziehen. Wenn's schnell gehen muss, warte ich nur 10 Minuten und brate das Geschnetzelte in viel Sonnenblumenöl an. Oder ich stelle das über Nacht in den Kühlschrank.

    1 Kommentar:

    Das kommt gerade richtig. Wollte morgen einen Wok mit viel Gemüse und Soja machen und werde deine Marinade gleich mal ausprobieren.

    Schön, dass du da warst! Wir hoffen, dass wir dir mit diesem Beitrag helfen konnten.

    Für Tipps und Vorschläge sind wir offen. Also zöger nicht und sag uns deine Meinung! :)

    Piri-Piri Marinade

    The marinade can be made ahead 2 to 3 days before using; chill airtight.

    Ingredients

    • 1 cup lemon juice
    • 3/4 cup olive oil
    • 1/4 cup minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons hot chili flakes
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon salt

    Nutritional Information

    • Calories 50
    • Caloriesfromfat 92%
    • Protein 0.2g
    • Fat 5.1g
    • Satfat 0.7g
    • Carbohydrate 1.2g
    • Fiber 0.1g
    • Sodium 75mg
    • Cholesterol 0.0mg

    How to Make It

    In a 1-quart glass measure or a bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, chili flakes, oregano, thyme, cumin, and salt.

    You May Like

    Sign Up for our Newsletter

    Ratings & Reviews

    Delicious and healthy recipes customized for you!

    Chicken Fajitas

    Yay, chicken fajitas! So easy to make, and so quick. A little bit of back story. The word “fajita” means “little belt” from “faja” for strip or belt, and the diminutive “ita”. It describes a skirt steak, and fajitas were traditionally made with grilled skirt steak, though now they can be made with chicken, shrimp, you name it.

    The method is to quickly sear the meat on a griddle or grill, slice and serve with quickly seared peppers and onions and flour tortillas.

    Now with a skirt steak it makes a lot of sense to quickly sear the meat and cut it against the grain to serve. You want the steak to be rare in the middle.

    But with chicken? Not so much. Rare is not good for chicken. A way to get around this is to either cut the chicken in strips to begin with or to start with thinner pieces of chicken.

    We prefer to start with a thinner piece of chicken, that way it’s less likely to dry out. Rather than thinning the meat with a meat pounder, we slice the chicken breasts horizontally.

    The cutlets are then marinated (an hour or longer) in a spicy marinade with chili powder, cilantro, and jalapeño. To cook, you sear the cutlets on a hot cast iron pan (you could also easily use a hot grill), and after letting them rest a few minutes, slice them across the grain of the meat. Cook the peppers and onions in the same pan while the meat is resting.

    Chicken Fajitas Recipe

    • Prep time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
    • Cook time: 15 minutes
    • Yield: Serves 4

    Ingredients

    • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    • Salt
    • 2 Tbsp canola, safflower, peanut or grapeseed oil (a high smoke point oil)
    • 1 large onion, sliced lengthwise (root to tip) into 1/4-inch strips
    • 3 bell peppers of various colors, sliced into 1/4-inch strips

    • 2 Tbsp lime juice
    • 3 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
    • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

    • 8-12 flour tortillas
    • Salsa
    • Sliced avocado
    • Sour cream
    • Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed lightly with salt and cider vinegar

    1 Cut thick chicken breasts in half, horizontally: Chicken breasts come in different sizes. If you have chicken breasts that are around a half pound each or more, you will want to slice them in half horizontally, so that the center thickness is around 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick.

    (We do not recommend pounding the chicken breasts, doing so will not result in the right texture/consistency for fajitas.)

    2 Marinate chicken: Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass or plastic container. Add the chicken, mix well, cover and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or up to 8 hours in the fridge.

    3 Wipe off most marinade, sprinkle chicken with salt: Remove the chicken from the marinade. Wipe off most of the marinade and sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt.

    4 Sear chicken on high heat: Heat a large cast iron frying pan on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon of canola oil (or other high smoke point oil) to the pan.

    As soon as the oil begins to smoke, lay the chicken breast pieces in the pan. Depending on the size of the pan, and if you have had to cut the chicken breasts, you may have to work in batches.

    Let the chicken cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, until you have a good sear. Once seared well on one side, turn the pieces over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until well seared on the second side.

    5 Stack seared breasts, cover with foil and let rest: Once seared on the second side, remove to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil to rest for 5 minutes.

    Here's a tip: Stack the seared chicken breasts and then cover them in foil. Together they will retain heat better as you cook the peppers and onions.

    If you want to test for doneness, cut into one piece with the tip of a sharp knife. It should be just done, if not, you can put it back in the hot pan for a minute or two.

    6 Sauté peppers and onions: While the chicken is resting, cook the onions and peppers. Add another tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Heat on high. As soon as the oil is hot, add the onions and peppers to the pan.

    Use a metal spatula to scrape up some of the browned bits from the chicken and stir to coat the onions and peppers with the oil and brown bits. Spread the onions and peppers in an even layer in the pan.

    Let them cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. You want them to sear with some blackening. Stir the vegetables and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

    7 Slice the chicken and serve: Slice the chicken across the grain into strips. Serve at once with the peppers and onions, some warm tortillas, and sides of shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, and/or thinly sliced iceberg lettuce dressed with vinegar and salt.

    Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Chicken Fajitas on Simply Recipes. Thank you!

    If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #simplyrecipes — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter!

    Showing 4 of 139 Comments

    • Amy E.

    Made these tonight. Omg so freakin delicious. Thanks for posting!!

    • October 3, 2017
  • Lisa Bunning

    Just finished eating these. Very good. I was going to add the spices to the peppers and onions but you don’t need to. Quick and delicious dinner!

    • September 28, 2017
  • Seana Nightingale

    I made this….I grilled the chicken on the BBC and cooked the onions/peppers in a cast iron skillet. It was the BEST fajitas I’ve ever made. Thank you, this recipe is a keeper!

    • August 29, 2017
    • · 1 Reply
  • Kasey

    Hi Elise, is it okay to marinade the chicken for longer than overnight?

    • August 1, 2017
    • · 1 Reply
  • Allison Grubbs

    You say to use a high smoke point oil. Will Ghee work?

    • July 17, 2017
    • · 1 Reply
  • You might also enjoy.

    Recipe Categories

    Main Ingredient

    Special Diet

    Season

    Recipe Type

    What's in Season?

    Browse all of our December recipes.

    Measurement Converter

    Discover More

    • Subscribe to new recipes for FREE!
    • Follow Simply Recipes or get recipe updates on Twitter
    • Press and Awards

    Welcome to Simply Recipes

    Thank you for stopping by! We love to share wholesome and delicious recipes, perfect for home cooked family meals.

    Thai Satay - Marinade

    Recipe by Ian Magary

    people discussing

    Top Review by

    Top Review by

    people discussing

    Thai Satay - Marinade

    SERVES:
    UNITS:

    Ingredients Nutrition

    • 1 teaspoon grated ginger
    • 1 stalk lemongrass (finely chopped)
    • 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
    • 1 tablespoon red curry paste (Thai)
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 1 ⁄4 cup coconut cream (or milk)
    • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
    • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    • 1 lb pork or 1 lb chicken or 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb beef

    Directions

    1. Cut meats thin to fit on skewers later.
    2. Combine ingredients and marinade meat overnight or 1 - 2 hours in a vacuum bowl.
    3. Place meat on skewers and cook over open flame (BBQ).

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Roku, or Fire TV.

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Roku, or Fire TV.

    Join the Conversation

    • all
    • reviews
    • tweaks
    • q & a

    Attach Photo

    Would you like to attach a photo to your submission?

    • Browse
    • Cancel

    Attach Photo

    The image has been attached to your submission.

    Report this post?

    Are you sure you want to report this post for review?

    • Yes, report it.
    • Oops! Cancel!

    You must be logged in to interact with the activity feed.

    • Log in now
    • Cancel

    Missing Input

    Please enter a rating or review before submitting.

    Missing Input

    Please enter a reply before submitting.

    Please enter your before submitting.

    Your reply has been submitted for moderation.

    There was an error processing your submission. Please refresh and try again!

    Nutrition Info

    Serving Size: 1 (29 g)

    Servings Per Recipe: 20

    Amt. Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 62 Calories from Fat 24 40% Total Fat 2.7 g 4% Saturated Fat 1.3 g 6% Cholesterol 19 mg 6% Sodium 155.4 mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g 0% Dietary Fiber 0.1 g 0% Sugars 2.2 g 8% Protein 6.4 g 12%

    Paprika

    recipe manager

    What is Paprika Recipe Manager?

    Paprika is an app that helps you organize your recipes, make meal plans, and create grocery lists. Using Paprika's built-in browser, you can save recipes from anywhere on the web.

    Want to access your recipes on your phone or tablet? Our free cloud sync service allows you to seamlessly sync your data across all of your devices.

    Fantastic Features

    Seamless Cloud Sync

    We understand that you want to cook with your tablet in the kitchen, manage your recipes on your computer, and take your phone with you to the grocery store.

    Paprika Cloud Sync allows you to seamlessly sync your recipes, grocery lists, and meal plans across all of your devices, so you can take your recipes everywhere.

    Web Importing

    Paprika's built in web browser allows you to browse for recipes anywhere on the web.

    When you find a recipe you like, simply tap a button to download the recipe and save it into Paprika.

    Smart Grocery Lists

    Paprika makes grocery shopping easy.

    Ingredients in your grocery list are automatically sorted by aisle: Dairy , Produce , etc.

    Similar ingredients will also be combined: 1 egg + 2 eggs = 3 eggs .

    Make multiple grocery lists and organize and customize your grocery aisles

    Interactive Recipes

    Track your progress by crossing off ingredients when you're done with them, and tap to highlight the current directions step.

    Paprika keeps your screen on when you open a recipe, so you don't have to worry about the screen turning off while you're cooking.

    Add bold, italic, links and photos to recipe text

    Add multiple, high-resolution images to recipes and they'll be stored in your free cloud sync account.

    Tools to Help You Cook

    Timers are automatically detected in your directions: simply tap on one to start.

    Pin active recipes to easily switch between them when you are cooking. (iOS & Mac)

    Automatically scale ingredients to your desired serving size.

    Convert ingredients between metric and imperial

    Monthly Meal Planning

    Save time and money using Paprika's meal planner.

    Create meal plans for the week, or for the month.

    Design reusable menus from your favorite meals.

    Комментариев нет:

    Отправить комментарий

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...